Heating off but radiators still warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The heating is off but the radiators are still warm.
A new Y valve and motor has been fitted and the Nest thermostat clearly operates the valve so I am at a loss to understand why the radiators are still heating up.
I can of course turn every radiator off but that hardly solves the problem.
This is a regular boiler on a open vented system.
In the airing cupboard there are a number of gate valves so it might be possible to close these so the pipes that feed the coil in the tank are isolated except I am unsure which gate valves I need to close.
Any advice and help would be appreciated.
Sure I could call a plumber but the boiler was replaced 4 month ago along with the valve but all I get from the chap who fitted it was I will be in touch ......except he has not.
Any help or advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
But if an awkward situation, I know!
You do need to give the installer the chance to remedy something he “may” have got wrong or to identify a defective part, but also “within” a reasonable time frame!

How long since you first notified him of the issue? How did you inform him?
Best to email or text (at the least) to start a paper trail and then give him a certain number of days to attend (maybe there is a statutory period... 14 days etc) before you will have no choice but to call in someone else and will then be seeking reimbursement through him, via an invoice from yourself and then taking it further if necessary!

As its your radiators getting warm why would you want to turn off the gate valve to your cylinder coil? When you select HW is the 3 port valve heating pipe getting warm 18" or so from the valve?

It could be reverse circulation it's caused by the last conection on the return not being the hw cylinder return but the last rad therefore the return hot water from cylinder finds it's way to the ch circuit via the last rad return.Bob

Sponsored Links
It could be reverse circulation it's caused by the last conection on the return not being the hw cylinder return but the last rad therefore the return hot water from cylinder finds it's way to the ch circuit via the last rad return.Bob
I see where your coming from Bob, maybe some pipework was altered when the boiler swap took place and 4 months ago he wouldn't have noticed the problem as chances are the heating was being used.

Thanks for the responses.
If I am unable to sort out the problem myself then I will certainly get someone in to look at it, in all fairness I did speak to him on the phone several times but put nothing in writing so that will be the next step.
Short term it would be useful if I could turn the radiators off using the gate valves, assuming of course that is possible ?
There is a 22mm pipe running down from the 3 way valve directly into the cylinder and a 15mm pipe running from the bottom of the cylinder with a gate valve which I assume is the flow to the radiators ?
The comment about the reverse flow is interesting, the pump is a danfoss ? with a switch that can be in one of 3 positions, currently set to the middle position.
You can gather from the above my knowledge of plumbing/central heating is nil.

Get in touch with the installer... in writing, with a deadline. If you go elsewhere without doing this, he is entitled to wash his hands of it as he will not be the last man to have “tinkered” with the system!

Short term it would be useful if I could turn the radiators off

Doubt it. Unless you can lock the mid port valve manually to DHW only and if you can isolate the return to the rads... have no clue without seeing what’s been done with the install... and any mods would mean “tinkering” and then you’re back to removing responsibility from the installer... I’d just go and shut all the rads down... except one perhaps to ensure you have a way for return to boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back