Heating Oil - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Realise not really a DIY issue - but there are a good few people on here with experience of oil heating etc - hoping the mods help us out by leaving the post on here to get some good advice. ;)

Here we are, now effectively a day before Christmas and a three day break for the working man.

Ordered heating oil on 13/12 and was told delivery would take up to a week. After two aborted attempts (One the tanker broke down, one the driver said road was too snowy) we are down to a couple of days oil tops. Tonight the bloke two doors down turned up with a delivery slip for us. THEY HAVE DELIVERED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS.

Clearly I am not liable for the cost etc - but anyone had this happen to them.

Plan to play ruddy hell with them on the phone and get at least an emergency top up at their expense before they deliver in full.

Any other advice - I know a lot of folks out in the sticks with oil on here.

Not only do we not have enough oil to last through until they return to work, but we have a 5 week old baby in the house (and a 3 year old) so can't afford to let the heating go off.

Sponsored Links
Why not go out and buy some red diesel, a few 25 litre containers should last a while.

Seriously I think you have to do a bit of pleading at such a late stage.....explain your predicament and the fact that the oil has gone to the wrong address which was their fault - you are desperate, have sick children in the house etc and see what they say.
However, it could be possible to decant some oil into jerry cans or similar from the place that took your delivery (owners willing) and then pour back into your tank......I keep a watering can aside for this very purpose.
I hope things turn out ok for you!
John :)

How did you resolve this problem? I ordered a similar product from a Southern based firm on 10/12 and still it has not arrived (was told Christmas Eve at latest).

I am in Worsthorne, Burnley and the problem has caused all kinds of grief for me and Family over Christmas.

Sponsored Links
We've had similar twice in the runup to xmas and the best thing seems to be to make an arse of yourself. Not very British, but ring often and if you can genuinely state a strong case for preference, do so. (Elderly relative, young child - in one of my cases, a litter of puppies)

Not heard of one putting it into the wrong site before, although I have had diesel put into a kerosine tank because it was the first tank the driver reached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back