Oil boiler restart after running out of oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have run out of heating oil (schoolboy error) and are due a delivery this week. The tank whilst new-ish is on rotten wood on the brick supports so we have levelled it up whilst it is at its lowest point on new wooden supports, this has taken the oil level above the point of the exit valve from the tank but it is not flowing out of the other end of the line at the boiler (we disconnected the line to check the supply at the boiler end). Could anybody advise me on if this is to be expected given the small-ish amount of oil it has in the tank? Any advice would be gratefully received! thanks

Sponsored Links
If this is a steel tank which was installed with a slope, then you have probably blocked the outlet with the accumulated sludge in the bottom of the tank. Disconnect at the tank end and try blowing it back through.
If it is a plastic tank, then it should be installed on a solid base (check the regs for dimensions)

There is an airlock in the pipe between the tank and the boiler, you will need a larger head of oil to clear it, once oil is delivered this should not prove to be a problem however you must clean any filters in the fuel line as sludge may have left the tank as you run out.
HOWEVER the biggest problem is your Non-Compliant fuel Tank
It MUST NOT be mounted on wooded bearers
Is the tank Plastic or Steel, if the former it must be on a fire restant base extending 300mm in all directions around the base of the tank

Concrete gravel boards can be used but the base must be a "Table top" type base that supports the plastic tank evenly and completely ;)

Firstly thanks for the replies. We have just recently moved in so i have inherited this system! this is also my first oil run system so i am not really au fait with it, I was hoping the oil delivery of 500 litres would provide some pressure to force some oil down the line, appreciate we need to bleed at the boiler end. I have however cleaned out the filter in the pipe just after it has exited the oil tank and there was some rubbish in it so hopefully that is ok now. It is a plastic (or similar material) tank and is mounted on mostly rotten wood cross members which sit on 2 brick uprights, i am guessing from the replies that this is not a good scenario now?!?!

Sponsored Links
no it isnt , there needs to be a concrete base laid on some hard core & them ontop of that usually breeze block is used with either paving stones laid ontop or concrete beams which should extend 300 mm either side of the tank . otherwise the tank ends up bulging & cracking

I'm new to these Riello burners, just found this old thread :). Stupidly we ran out of oil, relied on the electronic level sensor too much! There's about 4 inches of oil in the tank, I've ordered 700L due in a few days. Hitting -2c here so need to get this sorted fast. Seems there is an airlock in the fuel line which is approx 30m length (we're in a farmhouse in the rurals). From reading up on this online, my options seems to be:
1) await the oil tank being filled up and use the "head" (pressure of the added 700L) to gravity feed the oil until the bleed screw on the burner strops frothing...or
2) mechanically blow (forced by pumping) new oil down the feed line until it primes the pump.

oh, the set up is a gravity fed system tank at ground level and the boiler/burner is below ground in the cellar.

Any other ideas to avoid a freezing weekend?
Thanks in advance

If the tank is empty, where will you get the fuel to 'force' into the pump and maintain a continuous supply?
Wait for delivery and bleed through by gravity, paying attention to bleeding any filters.

@oilhead thank you for your reply.
There's about 60L in the tank above the level of the outlet pipe, maybe not enough to gravity feed thru the 30m line to the burner.
That's enough oil usually for 5 days use. I can wait for the bulk delivery by next tuesday, its just darn cold. really dont want to call out a plumber.

Connect a foot pump or similar to the pipe at the boiler and blow back to the tank.
when the air lock is cleared it will restore the gravity flow.

If there was oil above the outlet how did the fuel flow stop ??
The oil pump has enough suction to prevent this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back