New oil pump after running out of oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently my oil tank ran out of oil and when I got the tank refilled the boiler wouldn't start so my landlord sent around a plumber who supplied and installed a new oil pump and bleed oil to fix the issue. My landlord is now giving me a bill for £145.32, I have 2 questions

1. Can running out of oil cause this issue?
2. The boiler was recently serviced, should the potential failure of the pump have been noticed?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If the lock out button is repeatedly pressed then yes, the pump can wear as it requires kerosine for its own lubrication. Only a couple of resets are recommended.
If the pump was performing well before then it would do so again - so long as it wasn’t run dry. Without knowing the exact situation its impossible to comment further.
John :)

1 Yes
2 No, a service won't identify whether you're keeping an eye on your oil levels or not

Thanks both for your help.

>2 No, a service won't identify whether you're keeping an eye on your oil levels or not
I was asking if the service would spot an issue with the pump, I understand the lack of oil was my stupidity

Sponsored Links
Pumps can go at any time I’ve seen loads which have failed through running out of oil. Bob

Think you'll be stuck with the bill on this one, think yourself lucky the bill wasn't a lot bigger- the running out of oil gave the landlord the opportunity to renew the boiler at your expense. Don't do it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back