Oil fired boiler - oil feed needs bleeding

As step 1 if it works

As step2

Re the picture

On the left is a brass hex nut, underneath it is the supply pipe, you can just make it out,the bleed nut is the one behind it.

Open it up one turn first with a tub underneath it to catch any oil,stinks for ever,
Turn boiler on, this will start pump and start drawing oil into pump if it doesn`t foam or run clear repeat after lock out by opening 2 turns.

The only reasons for turning off sharpish is (finger tight will do untill you can get a shifter on it)
is

Loss of a flamible liquid
Smells

MORE air being drawn into the pump

If you can get the pump to supply enough fuel to the burner to light and establish it will self purge the lines itself completly,

If not repeat

Sponsored Links
Open it up one turn first with a tub underneath it to catch any oil,stinks for ever,

Stops smelling once it has evaporated. Which isn't long with kerosene. If it was otherwise, all installations would stink.

The only reasons for turning off sharpish is (finger tight will do untill you can get a shifter on it)
is

Loss of a flamible liquid
Smells

MORE air being drawn into the pump

The bleed/pressure monitor port is under pressure. Air does not get drawn into the pump at this point.

Did not bleed - so think it may be the filter.

Have called someone who promised to come out this morning - but no show and his mobile is off.

How do I check the filter (Not keen to do so as I have a broken leg and don't want to be messing about outside - but need the heating on for the baby!)

About 1 foot from the tank is a section of the supply pipe with a small plastic, screw off "Pot" about 2 inches in diamater and about 3 or 4 inches deep. When you unscrew this oil flows out. Is this the filter?

Eited to add - "Filter" looks something like this:

1zxtyjn.jpg

Turn the supply off at the tank, unscrew and clean it out?

Sponsored Links
Both.

just took the filter off and a fair bit of crap was in there.

Will try to bleed now

EDIT - Just tried, still no joy - pump (with bleed note open a turn) starts up on for about 8 seconds then buzzes, cuts out and locks me out for about 30 seconds.

Any suggestions? Is the pump taking out any air in this circumstance or not - i.e. is it worth persevering?

Do you get oil or bubbles coming out of the port when the motor is running? You could mess around for ages, whereas I have a manifold which allows easy bleeding. Scrub the bloke was going to come, he is unreliable. get someone else, they could bleed it in a few minutes. There may be some other fault of course.

Is the pump taking out any air in this circumstance or not - i.e. is it worth persevering?
I think that will depend on how much the plug is slackened and whether or not the air can escape.
You could try slackening screw more, but you need at least two turns of thread engaged.
If there's quite a bit of air to get out, boiler will go to lockout and you may have to make several attempts before it lights.

Right will try again - Makes you realise how useful having a reliable tradesman is, only moved here recently and have no local contacts.

I have a manifold which allows easy bleeding.
Would your manifold have a valve incorporated, for quick closure.
I incorporated a 'tee' and 'pipe work' including 'valve' with a mini tank about 1 metre higher than pump, so I can switch to mini tank to help bleeding.
That was over ten years ago, but never needed it

That sounds a bit posh, no wonder you never needed it.

Got it down to a blockage between filter and boiler.

On advice from a tradesman took the fuel supply line off and nothing coming through at all.

Went back, re-cleaned filter etc, no joy.

Basically tomorrow am going to try and blow the pipe through to clear it.

Called about 20 plumbers through the weekend and no help - even tried emergency 24h ones. Looks like a long day on the phone unless anyone here knows someone in the Bolton/Blackburn area? Should be so simple to fix but struggling to get near the blooky tank and filter with a broken leg. :oops:

Another night with the 'leccy heater then!

SWEEEEEEET!

After a whole raft of blowing down a pipe, the oil started flowing. Then hooked it up to the boiler, bled as per instructions and after a wait of a lifetime (About 5 seconds) it kicked in.

I am now sitting back feeling the warmth.

Thanks all for the advice - very very much appreciated.

Well done for being so persistent. Not bad with a broken leg considering the foul weather this weekend.

I have little DIY skill, but love this forum as it lets you have a crack. But trust me if my leg was better I'd have gone and sat in a warm pub all weekend and called someone out on Monday! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back