Oil fired boiler - oil feed needs bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ran out of heating oil yesterday (Idiotic I know) and had the tank refilled this morning.

Oil is not flowing to the pump and the installer (Previous house owner) has a note inside the boiler saying I will have to bleed the oil line to start it again.

How do I go about this - simple oil feed from the outside tank stright into a single inlet in the pump inside the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Some more info - Mistral boiler - with a Riello 40 pump.

One other forum for a different boiler suggests using the bleeding screw - I have attached the below pic - is one of these the bleeding screw?

4rs4l1.jpg

the gold colored one beneath the slotted one. 15mm. crack it open.

So open that - with everything turned off - and the air should flow out? Then tighten and fire her up - standing back in amazement as the heat defrosts the Mrs (Some chance!)?

Sponsored Links
take it right out if you want, it will start to froth and slowly dribble out. If nothing comes out, then you have blockage up stream aka filter..

as long as you get a small dribble, thats enough , bang bolt back in. tight.

with boiler off :idea:

Good stuff fella - and the filter is that the small chamber attached to the supply pipe?

If it does turn out to be that - is it an easy fix?

post a pix of what you think is filter if you want, there are diff types. . but the above should do it.

d_175.jpg

Out of interest, is the oil level in your tank higher or lower than the bleed plug.

mandate, due to the prob of fooling the photocell on a mectron, most would be tigerlooped or twin piped up if tank was lower. but there is a way of doing it. naturally. top secret. credit crunch on, dont want any merchant "bankers" stealing my job....

Don't have my spanners ! :eek: Mate has them and cant get hold until tomorrow.

Can't go out and get them as I have a broken leg.

It never rains, but it pours!!!!

The tank is about level with the boiler - does this make a big difference?

After you have bled the pump try it,if no joy,step 2

Step2
Crack it open just a turn or two,turn the boiler on"but be ready to shut it when oil dribbles"

Let the pump itself bleed it :idea:

The tank is about level with the boiler - does this make a big difference?
Well yes! oil don't run uphill. If oil level was lower than pump like mine is, I could not see how air could be bled out with boiler off. If nothing came out under these conditions, you may draw the wrong conclusion.
Having said that 'pipeslice' has got it covered, by step 2.

Thanks chaps - will let you know how I get on - If I make it through the night. The Mrs has the portable heater and has decided to kip in with the bambino.

Aghh the old defiy ing gravity trick

Oil will move up hill to a certain extent "as long as the pump is on, as in level with the burner or just above

The connection you need to bleed is as the picture posted for refference
underneath it is the supply pipe,the silver braided hose, behind that is the bleed nut you need to use

Turn boiler on,when you see the oil "foam" give it just a second to run clear tighten up sharpish

Fanny`s your aunt bob`s your uncle and i`m out of a call out charge

When you say "The bleed nut you need to use"...... you mean?

Pretty happy with this, should be:

1 - Try to bleed with boiler off. Easy.

2 - If not redo bleed valve then slacken off slightly, fire her up and get ready sharpish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back