Danesmoor 15/19 Oil fired boiler needs bleeding

How many flexible hoses on your pump? Is the oil level higher than the pump? How many litres did you get?

Sponsored Links
May be its air locked. Check the fuel filter also. You could try loosening the flexi hose nut to see if you get a flow there. You could also pump back air through the flexi hose to the tank to try free air lock - if that is the problem.

All of the above has the potential to cause a spillage if you are not careful. You might be well advised to get your regular service guy out.

If you slow down and go steady turn off the oil valve on the burner feed get a container and then get a 15or 16mm spanner undo theflexy feed hose nut then turn on the oil valve wait till an uninterrupted flow comes through then turn off the flow and refit the flexible hose onto the bottom of the pump the turn on boiler and all should be well ifthe flow isn't good you may have a partially blocked filter good luck

Sponsored Links
So as I understand it you, ' a dribble of oil' is wrong...it should be a spurt, right?
I'll try to remove the flexi hose & see what happens.
I gave the filter by the tank a tap as I read on another thread that can be an issue...but this didn't help...not sure how else I can 'check the filter'

It's often a good idea, if the tank has been emptied, to check the filter that's usually straight after the tank outlet......hopefully there will be a tap there! The filter catches the odd bit of debris that's floating around, but more importantly any water that's present.
Turn the tank valve off, and release the filter bowl to see what's in there.
If all is clear, then slacken the flexy connection into the burner pump and you should get a strong flow of kero.
If your oil line descends directly into the boiler, an air lock is unlikely but if the pipe rises at any time, that's where the air bubble will be. Difficult systems need an oil syringe to pull the kero through.
John :)

ok, I undid the hose...oil flowed freely when I opened the valve, so it's getting here without any issue (I didn't need to wait for this flow at all).
However reattaching the hose & trying to restart the boiler still gives the same result: lockout.
The appearance of the lockout light is always preceeded by a click...am not sure if this indicates anything?

Don't worry about the click, that's just the control box telling you it's there.
Normally at this stage, your burner would light up without any problems but you can try just cracking open the port marked P to help things along. Any air / kero mix should fizz out through there and hopefully all systems will be go.

Thanks for all your help but still no joy...the P port dribbles oil out again (no fizz) but the lockout light obstinately reappears every time.
On a fresh power cycle it comes on much faster than after pressing the reset switch....am not sure if this means something.
I guess there is something completely different wrong now...have no idea what so perhaps time to call a professional ;)

When the burner is trying to start, it goes through an 8 second purge cycle before the oil is electrically switched on......can you hear the motor spinning?

I can hear noises, but nothing that seems as loud as I'd expect a motor spinning to be.

In the first 8 sec, the motor is spinning (drives the pump at the same ) and the ignition spark should be there......then, the oil is switched on electrically courtesy of the solenoid on the top of the pump. If a flame establishes the photocell sees it and keeps the oil supply on.
If you have a low level discharge flue you can feel the air purging for the 8sec I've mentioned.
Maybe your pump has a blockage.....there's a nylon filter beneath an Allen screw cap.
Common failures are the solenoid coil, but that would be a real coincidence in your case!

Maybe the OP has seized the pump with all his dry attempts. Time for a professional.

Hi m8,
Oilman is spot on, the are two P you want the 1 at the bottom right hand corner, the better way 2 do it is press them timeout button while everythink is switch ON... then graudally and only just a little undo the plug with a allen key and u will see some bubbles and oil come out, do it back out then undo slighty once more, and presto u have heating.
Can't thnak you all enough..saved me a call out charge..I know the thread started long ago but I soon found it when I let the oil run out and then it wouldn't start. FAt first I didn't even know what the oil pump even looked like...and was a bit worried about all the "P's" to choose from, It worked. It's single pipe feed and nothing would come out with everything off. So I tried chriseveo's method with the boiler "attempting to run. (lockout reset) It took three goes to stop bubbling..Then success..For other dumbos like me here is a photo of the plug that bubbles..Thanks again.

Attachments

• oil pump.jpg
    oil pump.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 442

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back