Oil fired boiler - oil feed needs bleeding

Sponsored Links
I am now sitting back feeling the warmth.
Hang on a bit! you can't do that, I've just found you someone. JM services 22 Bedford St. Egerton between Bolton and Blackburn. Thats my commision gone then.
Have a warm evening!.

Sponsored Links
Yes it has one - is this the amusing bit where you say "Use it and avoid the problem next time you plank!!!" :D :D :D

Thanks also for the contact in Egerton, will note it for next time.

Make sure the tube goes up under the cap, so that rain can't get in. A sintered copper filter is useful to block the end so earwigs don't get down it. Water getting down the tube causes havoc in the filter.

Oilman's right. You need to stop any more cr*d getting into the system. When the weather is warmer and your leg is mended, make sure that the open top of your sight gauge is protected as Oilman said. If the filter that you opened had a paper element in then change it for a new one. If you do that then the line from the filter to the boiler /pump should stay clear. Did you see any cr*d come out of the oil pipe when you cleared it? If not it may have been frozen water in which case you need to check your tank. The water collects at the bottom. Do you have a "sludge" drain cock at the opposite end to the outlet where you can drain some fluid off to check it? If not you may need to syphon some fluid from the bottom of the tank to see what it is. If you have water in it then you will see it separate from the oil.
Better to do these things other wise next winter may see a repeat.
(If it happens again soon, an electric hairdryer played gently over the copper pipe has been known to clear small pockets of ice. If they are small enough the boiler will cope with some water, no problem. But I didn't tell you that!!):cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back