heating okay but no water only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler is glowworm hideaway FF

When heating circuit is active and room thermostat up we get heating and hot water and the boiler operates normally. However when we select hot water only the boiler doesn't operate. No light is present at the boiler but the yellow light is on at the controller.

I can hear a clicking sound from the cylinder cupboard when the water circuit is switched on and off so that suggests to me that the the controller is supplying current to the cylinder thermostat.

I know a little about electrics but nothing about central heating.

I am assuming the boiler has only one electrical input supply and only 2 water pipes - supply and return. (plus gas supply)

I Am also assuming that boiler is unaware if it's being used for water or heating and the choice is made by the controller. So if central heating is required the pump will run but if only water is required the pump will be stopped and the cylinder will get hot via gravity flow (as it does if pump flows too).

As the heating system uses a room thermostat which feeds back to the control unit I am assuming the cylinder does the same. I do see a white thermostat dial on the side.

As I hear clicking I'm assuming the control unit is supplying input current to the thermostat but that maybe the return current to the control unit from the thermostat is not getting there. However I don't hear clicking from the thermostat instead it's from a metal box (honywell) with a lever on it. I dont know what this is? Maybe some sort of valve but I dont know why?

I have a few questions please.....
Are my assumptions correct and heating system works this way?
What is the metal box for and how does it impact the system?
Is there a likely failure point and how would I go about troubleshooting/fixing it?

thanks

edit... the only pump I know of is under the ground floor. There isn't one in the cyclinder cupboard upstairs.
2. I just read up on honeywell valves...why do I need one connected inline with the hot water cylinder when the gravity fed hot water would be running even if just the heating switch is on. I know this to be the case because even now with the hot water not working properly it gets hot when the heating is on.

Sponsored Links
Is this the valve in your cupboard ?

or two of these

The bottom but only one. - and it has a lever on the top.
I would have expected that to be on the heating side rather than water so that the heating flow is isolated when water only is used. - if I'm understanding what the unit does.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a honeywell "c" plan, this is the wiring diagram so if you can use a multimeter fault finding should be straight forward.

View media item 77674

Yes, the plan "c" diagrams and components on the web seem to fit with what I have. I've also found the boiler has two sets of pipes which fits with the pictures I'm seeing.

Thanks for identifying that picasso.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back