Hot water/heating type.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler which heats the central heating radiators and the domestic hot water in a cylinder. The heating can be controlled by a thermostat on the wall. But I can't figure out how the hot water is controlled?
There isn't a stat on the water cylinder.
There is a Honeywell valve after the pump outlet pipe (I think) has split. One to the water cylinder and the other ,with the valve on it I assume goes to the radiators.
I can only have the radiators on if the water is also on.
I can have the water on alone.
I assume the honeywell valve stops the pumped water from reaching the radiators if the heating is off, but what stops the boiler continually heating up the domestic hot water?
There is a dial on the boiler (can't find a makers mark) which can be set to off and has a varying scale on it to suggest as it is turned heat increases. Altering this turns the boiler on and off.

Sponsored Links
Your system is C plan the valve you mention only energises under the roomstat and brings the pump on only, It's a glorified gravity system. Your only HW control is via the boiler stat. I suggest you update it.

Sponsored Links
Gas2Air said:
Your system is C plan the valve you mention only energises under the roomstat and brings the pump on only, It's a glorified gravity system. Your only HW control is via the boiler stat. I suggest you update it.
Thanks very much for that. Sounds expensive :(

Could the system I describe above be simply updated by adding another valve to the DHWS to the cylinder and a thermostat to the water cylinder?
And then link this into the controls?
My heating & water control unit is a new programmable one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back