Heating problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a silly question, but never having had a thermostat driven central heating system.... in fact where I come from you didn't need CH at all.

We have a timer, radiator thermostats and a thermostat as part of our CH.

We would like to have heating switch on using the timer rather than the thermostat.

However, the thermostat always seems to over-ride the timer. i.e. - if the thermostat is on say 19 C the heating is on almost permanently, but if it is below 19 C it is off permanently - regardless of the timer. Is this usually the case or do we have a problem with our CH system? How do we over-ride the thermostat? Are we missing something with regards to the radiator thermostats?

We don't have manuals, as the previous house owner didn't leave any.

Sponsored Links
We would like to have heating switch on using the timer rather than the thermostat

That's how it should work.

the thermostat always seems to over-ride the timer

That's not right.

If you supply details of the timer somebody may be able to help you - it may be to do with the settings - otherwise something's up with the timer or it's wired incorrectly - at a guess.

Is the room stat a programable type or bog standard type?, if its a programable type maybe a link has been fitted in the programmer to make it call for ch constantly so the prog stat does it's job as designed, if it's a bog standard room stat it sounds like a faulty programmer or wiring fault.

Sponsored Links
does the radiator in the same room as the room thermostat, have a thermostatic valve on it ?

Thanks for the replies :)

To answer the first question:

The thermostat is a Honeywell.... something like this (I can't find the exact model), it's been installed about 4 years, but the previous owner hasn't left a copy of the manual.

Moreover, he was elderly, and probably liked having the heating on all day so probably didn't notice there was a problem.

http://content.honeywell.com/yourhome/ptc-thermostats/t410.htm

I notice on the Honeywell website they have DIY installation thermostats. Are these any good, and would it be worth replacing the thermostat or do you think it's a more complicated wiring problem? How about just removing the wall mounted thermostat from the system?

Second question: Yes the radiator in the room with the thermostat does have a radiator thermostat. But this seems to make no difference to the functioning of the thermostat. ie - when the raditor is switched off, on or ona low or high setting there are still the same problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back