Heating programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some help please.
I have a problem with my boiler firing up with a call for heat from the programmer.
Conventional boiler, potterton Promax HE with a UP2 British Gas programmer.
I noticed if the HW timer was on and not firing up if I scrolled through the Heating setting by pressing the select button through timed once on then off the programmer makes a click noise and the boiler then fires up a couple of seconds later.
So to get my boiler to fire up now for hot water I have set the heating on timed to turn off two minutes after the HW comes on, on timed, so when this happens the click happens heating off happens and the boiler fires up.
If I leave the HW in the 'On' position and not on the timer there is no problem the boiler fires up when the water needs heating up.

Sponsored Links
Check for a loose wire at back of programmer, if not could be new programmer time.

Check for a loose wire at back of programmer, if not could be new programmer time.
Thanks for the reply.
Took the programmer off and the backplate last night, checked all the wiring all tight and ok then turned off the heating and just left HW on timer.
Boiler hadn't fired up this morning but read another post on the web to tap the programmer and see if it fires up which I did and it worked. So I suppose that indicates a faulty programmer.

tap the programmer and see if it fires up which I did and it worked. So I suppose that indicates a faulty programmer.

I'd suspect so yes. Many can be purchased without needing to swap any wiring, or if you prefer like for like.

Sponsored Links
Apparently the relays inside the programmer can sometimes 'stick' by tapping the programmer it fires into life, which it did.

your programmer has an industry standard back pate so you can straigt swap with virtually any modern programmer, if you want like for like yours is a Drayton LP***, there are a few versions depending on what you want it to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back