Heating Pump and Rad question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will turning my Grundfos pump speed up from setting II to setting III make my rads hotter and quicker?

And if one radiator gets cold (airlock) on re-filling as is the case in my home, I believe turning all the other rads off and leaving this one open will shift the air into the rad where i can vent it out. But do I turn both valves off, or just the TRV? Otherwise i'll need to re-balance the system after won't i?

Sponsored Links
Turning the pump speed up may make the rads heat up a bit quicker, but they will not get any hotter. You need to turn up the boiler thermostat to make the rads hotter.

HI

1.might warm the rads quicker not hotter but the difference is only about 6-7 minutes and if the house is smaller pump speed should be on 2 to prevent excessive water speed,noise,cavitation in the fittings,etc
2.only close trvs

ok thanks for your help.

the reason i asked, is as my friend had a new boiler fitted (council house) and they fitted a new pump in the airing cupboard. and she had it on setting 2 before, but now it's on 3 and the house seems warmer than ever!!

i was thinking maybe if the setting was too high, she would get "pumping over" into the feed tank, as newer pumps in general work faster, plus the extra speed setting.

although the new boiler is condensing so maybe this is why the house and rads feel a lot hotter!

Sponsored Links
if you set the speed to 3, when was previously on 2, then you may get water pumped out into the feed tank, which will not be good as air will be drawn in constantly, and could cause corrosion of the steel radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back