Heating system - Open vent or sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Still trying to figure out how best to run my heatbank.
My current system is open vent, indirect gravity DHW, pumped CH, no valves. All the rads are run in 15mm stainless and since quite a bit of this is exposed I'd certainly like to re-use this although I'll likely swap the old singe panel rads
Currently have no sludge issues and system water is quite clean considering it's never been flushed. At the moment running desludger in preparation

I'd like to go open vent with direct cylinder heating. This looks likely to give the best recovery times and should allow me to run the boiler very efficiently with a TMV3 type valve set to 50C on the boiler return. System will be arranged on an S plan using the bathroom rad as a bypass/pump overrun heat dump. The system should be very good but will be open vent
Most likely boiler Vaillant 428

THe other option is a traditional sealed using the existing coil in the hot cylinder. Probably wired Y plan. I'm concerned that the cylinder coil might not have enough "capacity" to drop 20C if I run the flow at 70ish so I might well end up with less effeciency. I also suspect I'll get nothing like the recovery time
Likely boiler Vailllant 628 although my plumber says he can get a good deal on a WB 30 system boiler

The other option I see is to replace cylinder too. Probably with one of those smaller 120L quick recovery setups. I'm not sure but I suspect this will be midway between direct and indirect in terms of efficiency

What would yo do. An ideal (I think!) open vent setup, well inhibited or a sealed system which might not run as efficiently but shouldn't sludge as badly. I want to go OV and the plumber sees no issues with this. Or at least he has no issues which cannot be overcome by beating him into submission with a suitably large wad of £20s

I certainly don't want to ditch the thermal store! Now that I'm done with replumbing the hot and cold circuits performance is quite incredible. I've got a shower that dents your head but I can still fill the bath in just over 4 mins. Happy days

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back