No hot water in open vent system even though rads are hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First time post from a diy amateur looking for help to diagnose & correct a hot water problem - will try to be as clear as possible.

Recently moved into a bungalow that has an indirect open vent system of 9 rads supplied by an oil fired Reillo 40 boiler. System is probably 10-20 years old.

The problem for us is that the system does not heat (it may have once or twice before) the hot water cylinder (all rads work fine). I suspect an airlock in the heating coil in the immersion cylinder.

As far as I can make out, hot water is designed to be supplied to the immersion coil via a T junction on a pipe (in the attic) that continues on to become the vent pipe into the F&E tank. The pipe up to T junction & onto the F&E tank is hot but not the pipe connected to the immersion via the T junction. I replaced the t-junction thinking it may be blocking flow to cylinder but no change was noted - hence my suspicions that there's an air lock in the coil.

Also there is a constant trickle of hot water from vent pipe to F&E when the heating is set to 18-20 degrees - no trickle at low temps when the pump from boiler is running. This trickle seems to be a recent development following my efforts to balance the rads.

Would appreciate any tips to help diagnose & solve problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back