Heating Thermostat on when switched down off when turned up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My heating was staying on even though it had reached temperature. On investigating further I discovered that if I turned down the room stat, the boiler fires up, if I turn it up the boiler stops ie complete reverse of intended. Result is that boiler won't turn off unless I turn up the roomstat, and then of course it won't turn itself on again. No changes have been made at all prior to it working perfectly. As a possible footnote, I'm sure that the water heating switched on is also supplying the rads with hot water. I checked the motorised 3 way valve responds to calls for water or heating and it does seem to operate when requested - I can't be sure it is turning the water valve as once fitted onto its spigot I can't tell (but the motor whirs so seems fine)

Sponsored Links
It's a very confusing list of things going wrong and you'll probably need to know how to use a multimeter to get to the source of the fault.

Have you tried switching absolutely everything off including a reset of the room thermostat if it's a programmable or wireless type.
Can you also give a bit more information on the system and the type of room thermostat in particular.

Sponsored Links
It's a very confusing list of things going wrong and you'll probably need to know how to use a multimeter to get to the source of the fault.

Have you tried switching absolutely everything off including a reset of the room thermostat if it's a programmable or wireless type.
Can you also give a bit more information on the system and the type of room thermostat in particular.

Thanks, you have resolved it - I turned the system off and back on and it seems to be working fine!

Gloworm 60ff boiler and a honeywell room stat (doesn't have a number on it but is dial type not digital)

its several years old, but never done this before and not had any work on it recently (new fan about a year ago)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back