Heating turning itself off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

One of our radiators leaked recently, the enamel corroded and blistered and it is now isolated but not yet replaced.

It seems at the same time we started experiencing problems with our heating. We have an old Satchwell thermostat dial and a Honeywell 2 way value.

I have hooked the value to manual open by securing it via the notch on the honeywell value case, however it still manages to turn itself off every now and then. Don't know how.

The thermostat is on 30 degrees and when the honeywell value is on auto and the HW and CH are turned on at the control box, nothing kicks in. I presume the thermostat overrides the control box setting with HW and CH on? So it can turn off the heating if the temperature is too hot.

How do I best diagnose what is at fault out of the 3 elements?

- Thermostat
- Honeywell value
- Heating controls

The heating controls are the newest out of the three, they were replaced by British Gas about 5 years ago. The other two are the originals, from what I can gather, installed when the house was built I presume ~30 years ago.

The guy who saw to our radiator and will be replacing it thought it was the thermostat but I'm not sure why.

The main annoyance is how the honeywell value keeps flicking off the manual open notch! Plus it's very cold at the moment so never a good time!!

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back