Heating - Warm Header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have drained system down just to have a clean, put a cleaner in last night and filled again. I have noticed the header is getting warm and the pipe obviously up to it. The pump is a Grundfoss Apha 2 and I have played with the various setting hoping to reduce energy. On auto it never adjusts right and ends up the boiler clicking off. I seem to have to run on one of the higher settings. When draining the water seemed pretty clear, but I have put an F3 in and will run for a few days, then drain again and run through before filling and using F1.
I think they may be an issue, the plumbing looks complicated or messy. I have done a diagram and attached some photos of the awful cupboard where its all housed. Let me have your thoughts on what could be causing and what to check. Thanks

Attachments

• Heating.png
    Heating.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2866.jpg
    IMG_2866.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
is water coming out of the vent pipe (the one that bends round and hangs over the feed and expansion tank, without touching the water)?

how deep is the mud an the F&E, and what colour?

I see you have a Spirotech filter, though I don't recognise the model. They aren't much good.

What you describe as a round junction is a myson aerjec truly dreadful thing and know for collecting sludge ect and causing pump over problems.
Much better to replace with a pipework H section or consider converting to sealed system if boiler compatible.

is water coming out of the vent pipe (the one that bends round and hangs over the feed and expansion tank, without touching the water)?

how deep is the mud an the F&E, and what colour?

I see you have a Spirotech filter, though I don't recognise the model. They aren't much good.
I will have to check but i presume some water had come out as it was warm and it is not touching the water, the tank was emptied out and I wiped it all out, but it does look a little frotty in there already so presume it has been comming back through the pipe. I will check the vent into the header tank.

I can definately see that the hot water pipe out of the top of the immersion tank is definately very hot and rising up the vent pipe to storage. I will look again later to see if it is bubling from the bottom or water from the vent into the storage tank.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a small amount will come up the feed and expansion pipe in the bottom, due to expansion of the water when heated. More so if there is air in the system.

it should not come up the vent pipe. You may need an assistant because it might happen when the pump starts (or stops) so you need someone to operate the stat while you watch the pipe.

You can also position a large jar under the vent.

So far nothing up the vent pipe, but it is getting warmer. The 15mm feed pipe is very warm actually hot. I noticed as soon as hot water was turned of, the spread of heat up those two pipes raised in temperature quickly especiall the feed pipe which does look to be going back into the header at slow rates at the moment. Will monitor further. This was with heat calling as I have done to monitor.

I have also reduced temp on boiler and reduced pressure on pump. I know in the cold pump needs to be on full to get one downstairs rad warm. I have both sides fully open on this one.

When weather is cold, one rad downstairs struggles, and its the newest one. If the pump isnt on full, it does not always get hot when both water and heating is calling. Its ok if water isnt calling. Does that make more sense

OK

you need to balance your radiators.

this is done by closing down the hot ones (not by opening up the cold one)

According to the pump and aerjec installation instructions it looks as if the pump flow is installed in reverse, hence is 'pushing' hot water up to the header via the aerjec unit

Use a magnet on the Aerjec and around the copper pipes that connect into it. If the magnet sticks, then I would recommend cutting out the aerjec and re-piping with a combined feed and vent like this, if your boiler is compatible.View media item 29821

No the magnet is not sticking on pipework or the junction point, the only magnet i had is a fridge magnet so not the strongest of choice, but it didnt stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back