Hot water in header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had trouble with the boiler bumping and banging over the last few months so I partially drained it today and added some de-scaler. The water in the header tank was warm but I thought it was just heat bleeding back up from the cylinder. I've just been up there again since putting the gunk in the system and the header tank is steaming hot. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Probably a blockage. Perhaps you disturbed some sediment while draining. Are all the radiators full up to the top? Did you get black water and sludge out when draining?

What sort of system cleaner did you use?

The water may well be pumping up the vent pipe and running into the feed and expansion tank - have a look. Turning down the pump speed may stop or reduce this.

John,
The water came out pretty clear when I drained it earlier today. The rads are all OK and getting hot as I bled them straight after topping up with Everad de-scaler and sludge dispersant. The heating has been on most of the day so the hot water has been on as well. Just checked the cylinder and it is red hot despite a bath being run about an hour ago.

The pump is currently running on the slowest of three speeds. I have also turned the thermostat on the boiler down to the lowest setting.

It may be worth bleeding again. I don't know Everad but it might be creating gas as it works, which would push water up into the F&E.

Sponsored Links
I'll give it a go and do some trouble shooting again tomorrow. One thing that is strange is that the level in the header tank hasn't reached the overflow so there can't be that much water getting up there. Having said that it is very hot. On a positive note at least we still have heat in the house!

It's the same water circulating so no noticeable increase in volume......

(an increase in volume of content within the system would occur if gas was generated from the action of the cleaning chemical or as a result of corrosion. Gas displaces the water from the tops of radiators and causes it to rise into the F&E tank. Doen't appear to be happening in this case, though).

Sloss & John D,
Thanks for your advice. The system already seems to be running quieter since I put the de-scaler in yesterday, no popping, banging, whizzing etc. Also I have just had a look in the header tank and the water in there is cold as it should be. Not counting my chickens but it looks a whole lot better than yesterday. What a brilliant forum this is - now in my favourites.

IOM1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back