Heatmiser PRT not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a Heatmiser PRT thermostat to replace a 20-odd year old mechanical room stat (4 wires: earth, neutral, live, call) at my sister's place. I followed the instructions to the letter (and checked this forum!), but with the earth wire isolated in a terminal block and live, 'call' and neutral connected the display remained blank when I restored power. I then added a bridging wire between live and 'A2', but still nothing. I confirmed that live and call both output 230v when the timeclock activates.

Refusing to put the old 'stat back, I stubbornly went out and bought a basic Drayton RTS8 as a stop-gap. Hey-presto, it worked straightaway.

I emailed Heatmiser support for help with the PRT, and their response was to suggest that the neutral wire at the room stat is not connected to the neutral for the timeclock in the kitchen (a Drayton LP522), hence the circuit at the thermostat end is not made :?: Surely this would stop the RTS8 from operating the boiler too? When it warms up a bit I will double-check the terminals of the LP522, but this sounds a bit dodgy! Can anyone give some advice?

Thanks,
James.

Sponsored Links
The RTS8 is a battery powered stat and does not make use of the neutral. Your old mechanical stat would have worked without it too, although it would have had somewhat unstable temperature control.

The RTS8 is a battery powered stat and does not make use of the neutral

Erm, okay....but I don't recall seeing any mention of a battery in the installation manual for the RTS8! As far as I am (was?) concerned it was a 230v powered thermostat just like the awful old thing it replaced. However, if, when the boiler was installed a few years back and the kitchen timeclock updated, the bloke altered the wiring so the room stat's neutral wire is no longer connected that would explain a few things....

Sponsored Links
Oops :oops:

My mistake, RTS8 isn't battery operated.

It is, however, 2-wire switching and doesn't require a neutral.

Sounds like you've found the fault anyway, so happy heating :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back