Heavy Shower screen on Plasterboard??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a very heavy shower screen for our bathroom...

I think it must be 15kg!!

I've got some great plasterboard plugs but I'm really worried that the screen may pull the plasterboard off! The screen gets a bit of support from where it touches the bath but it's still a huge weight.

And there's no bricks behind the board. It's hollow.

Is this going to be a no no? For some reason I can't find ANYWHERE that sells plastic shower screens :(

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Forget the plasterboard plug and use one of these type and you shouldn't have any problem
p1398287_l.jpg

But do you think the plasterboard can hold all that weight?

Sponsored Links
How many screw mounting holes does it have?

You can almost certainly drill more.

I helped my bro install a wall bracket for a 19" TFT screen onto a stud partition, about 6" from the nearest stud. 4 M8 bolts in appropriate fittings similar to Masona's suggestion. The screen weighs about 3 or 4kg.

Here is a suggestion:

Run Gripfill or similar along the whole length of the bracket. Then bolt it to the wall with the largest fittings you can (the type described above). The gripfill should give it extra support.

Avoid swinging the screen out of the way if possible. I know they are designed to be swung back, but the less you move it, the less likely you are to have a problem! Also the rubber seal at the bottom tends to wear prematurely with lots of swinging (not the wife-swapping variety).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back