Hedging?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved in to a house that is reasonably close to the road (it's about 4 - 5 metres) with a low wall at the front, and it's around 4m in length.

I would like to plant some quick growing hedging so I can get some privacy - but because I'm impatient I don't want to be waiting 3 or 4 years for it to grow! (I might have sold up by then!!!).

I thought about building a second wall the same height behind the first one and filling it up so it was a raised bed, and then planting some hedging in that but I don't think it's really the best way to go?

Any recommendations for hedging plants and best places to buy them?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Smaller garden centres are very helpful for the plants. You really can't think of hedges as being a quick fix. They need time and more time. Geoff Hamilton related in one of his books that hedges used to be planted and then cut back to encourage shoots to grow. This was repeated every year for the first SEVEN years. If people weren't so different minded now, and want to change everything the moment they move in I would suggest you plant a hedge, look after it and the next occupiers would carry it on, but that's hoping...........

true, anything you were to put in for a quick fix would end up causing you more trouble than its worth with cutting and stuff. Plus, it would still take a few years to get going

quick hedge.... build up a wall of some kind, ive seen soil retained with netting or rocks or bricks... fill it with good water retaining compost. Get some live willow. Plant them at least half in the soil, water well for few months and itll grow like stink. Long "whips" of willow can be bent over and interwoven etc... looks good... Make sure the willows fresh tho.

Sponsored Links
sidecar_jon said:
quick hedge.... ........................ Get some live willow. Plant them at least half in the soil, water well for few months and itll grow like stink. ................

and as countygardens points out
true, anything you were to put in for a quick fix would end up causing you more trouble than its worth with cutting and stuff. ..............

oilman said:
sidecar_jon said:
quick hedge.... ........................ Get some live willow. Plant them at least half in the soil, water well for few months and itll grow like stink. ................

and as countygardens points out
true, anything you were to put in for a quick fix would end up causing you more trouble than its worth with cutting and stuff. ..............

well yes like russian vine!... one cant asume a plant will stop growing just 'cos its got to a size you want..... but willow is quick. Just plant Laylandii for a green wall effect (and stil takes five years).... williow will provide prity instant cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back