height of cu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i wonder if someone can answer my question on height of cu in a refurb. is their a minimum and a maximum ? (domestic) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure Building regs specify fitting accessorys which need to be accessible between 450mm & 1200mm high! (Think it's under Part M but this is from memory only!)

in a refurb - where you want. Unless building control are strongly envolved.

I think you are right Lectrician in that if it's a direct rewire then you can fit the new accessorys in place of the old ones (good for preserving decor!) - as you say if BC are heavily involved though...

Sponsored Links
If you are not putting it up near the ceiling, might be worth channeling some kind of trunking or conduit into the wall to its actually possible to add in more circuits at a later date without surface wiring ot opening the wall...

Also, I've seen a new build with all the light switches and stuff at the 450-1200 height, and the CU above the front door

I could understand that height on an existing rewire where the people comissioning the work are happy with it there. Big NO NO on a newbuild!... what if someone disabled, in a wheelchair and living alone moves in?

Part P of the regs wants Part M and Part L of the regs to be complied with - so it should be at 1200mm

Let me get this right (i've had a bit to drink) surely ur not implying that cu comes into same regs as sockets and light switches, between 450mm and 1200mm

Glad someone's drunk - i'm stuck in as we have family visiting (not the drinking type!) - I keep getting moaned at for using the PC!

As far as I know, Part M applies to any accessible equipment - Sockets, Light switches, Consumer Units, Cooker Control Units, Showers etc. I may well be corrected by someone with a better knowledge of the BC regs than me - this is just my 'working' interpretation of Part M and how I install! (new-build only)

Sounds daft to me to have cu max 1200mm off floor. Ok, for disabled people it would be needed, but what about inquisitive 4 yr olds. Just finished 1st fix, have left enough cable for this but surely this is wrong(another bottle of wine opened!)

Although kids could get to it, as long as it is installed safely (no open holes in the top or side), all they can do is turn the circuits on and off - you'd have to (a) have a padlockable CU or (b) tell the kids to 'blinkin well leave it alone!'

If your cables turn out to be too short to move then i'd just bear it in mind for future work! ;)

Doesn't sound right to me :?: :?: :?: :?:

I'm sure someone on this great site will know for sure :idea:

I don't want my cu at that height, sometimes when i've had a few too many i forget where the toilet is.................. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :eek: :oops:

Come on guys, next time your on the bog, have a read of the building regs. Unless your designing a house for the disabled, the only place you need sockets at 450 and switches at 1200 is in areas that you may expect visitors to use. The CU can be located anywhere but use your common sense, if your gonna work on it, try and make it easy.

'A way of satisfying Requirement M1 would be to provide switches and socket outlets for lighting and other equipment in habitable rooms at appropriate heights between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor level'

This is the only mention I found of how to satisfy this aspect of Part-M and it merely states 'habitable rooms' so unless i've missed something (possible!) there is no reference to guest areas - this would make sense as the new-build could be moved into by anyone!

The original requirement M1 makes no mention of guest areas either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back