Bonding in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently refurbed the bathroom. The lights (low voltage downlighters - IPX 4 rated) are outside of zones due to the height of the ceilings.
I've bonded all the pipes.
My question is about this 17th ed. regulation :confused: . Do I put earthing from the light to the pipework? Or, can I leave it given that all of my wiring is on a 13ma RCD in the main CU and the lights are outside of all zones anyway?

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

I've recently refurbed the bathroom. The lights (low voltage downlighters - IPX 4 rated) are outside of zones due to the height of the ceilings.

I hope that you notified the local authority befiore starting work. ARe those lights 230v?

I've bonded all the pipes.
You say that you have an RCD protecting ALL wiring. So what makes you think that bonding is necessary?

My question is about this 17th ed. regulation :confused: . Do I put earthing from the light to the pipework? Or, can I leave it given that all of my wiring is on a 13ma RCD in the main CU and the lights are outside of all zones anyway?

Cheers
17th edition regs allow for no bonding if ALL circuits in a bathroom are protected by an RCD of no more than 30mA and that the main bonding meets current requirements. So (again) why do you need to provide bonding in your bathroom?
PS You have a very rare RCD there. I can't remember the last time that I saw a 13mA RCD.

Sorry I meant 30ma RCD not 13ma...... :rolleyes:
Spark has just been round and has checked it all again. So, I can finish the nailing down and plastering.

Thanks for reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back