bathroom bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that in a bathroom, all electrical appliances, eg shower/lights/extractor etc have to be bonded to the pipework.

But what in the case of a ceiling with 5 recessed bathroom downlighters (higher than 2.26 metres!!) , do they still have to be bonded, and if so, do they ALL have to be independently bonded , considering they are earthed with the twin and earth from the lighting feed anyway?

If they all have to be bonded, what is the best way? Can I loop some 2.5mm solid sleeved earth wire across all the earths on the downlighters over to my current 6mm bonding cable (feeding shower earth etc) and then join it to pipework via the earth clamp?

The downlighters have been up for about 18 months, and when I fitted them, I replaced an enclosed ceiling rose (although this was not bonded in any way!)

Views on this please, bonders out there! I know your going to quote part p etc, but I would seriously like to know whether lighting that is outside of the zones, has to be bonded in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Still need bonding - just link into the cpc of that lighting circuit near the bathroom.

Ok, no problems, do I have to take the 6mm cable over to the CPC, or can I run a smaller , say 2.5 or 1.5mm cable over to it?

Sponsored Links
You can do as secure says using 2.5mm sq provided adequate mechanical protection is provided, otherwise 4mm sq.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back