Helicopter pilot saves RC plane

S

Sombrero

I don't normally post things like this, but i've watched this twice and laughed out loud both times...

It's a helicopter tutor and trainee that see a RC plane crash into the top of a tall tree, and they decide to retrieve the plane and hand it back to the guys on the ground..

(there's a bit of swearing, but a good 'feel good' factor to it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ElGt6iAYw

Sponsored Links
Looks like that copter pilot is couple of cans short of a six pack. :mrgreen:

....500ft from any person, vehicle, vessel or structure.......

Gawd I reckon I've caught boringness off that noseall fellow

I'm a little bit 'au contraire' on this... rulz are rulz and all that, but what a good attitude to life?

Sponsored Links
Well sure, but if he had a student with him the Feds won't be letting him instruct again.

Well it was clearly mental. The skipper had no idea what effect the downwash would have had on the wings on that plane. The wings are an airfoil and the plane could have flown off anywhere including into the rotors. Mental is the word.

But I'm getting boring again here.

Or maybe not.

No actually with five minutes reflection with a glass of port in my hand, the pilot was careless and reckless and could have killed his student.

Well it was clearly mental. The skipper had no idea what effect the downwash would have had on the wings on that plane. The wings are an airfoil and the plane could have flown off anywhere including into the rotors. Mental is the word.

Or maybe not.

No actually with five minutes reflection with a glass of port in my hand, the pilot was careless and reckless and could have killed his student.

Port??!!!! omg !!!

Supping anything else with a fine stilton would be simply vulgar

(mrs is in chicago so i am "independent george")

Oh ! and you're on DIYnot instead of "fancyaquickie.com"? are you ok?

But serioously, the helicopter thing... if your CO tells you te retreat, and you run forward and save a badly injured mate... technically it's wrong, but in some human sort of way the guy deserve a medal... you could throw a 'H&S' manual the size of Gibralter at that 'copter pilot, but he has a 'joie de vive' about him!!!

Or maybe not.

Still jealous of real flying whilst stuck in your spam can then?

W.

Morning Wolfie,

Wondered when you would turn up. I'm still waiting for that AAIB report on your hero......

(PS Spam Cans are things like warriors, 172s etc. If it's got a wheel at the back it's not a spam can)

Oh ! and you're on DIYnot instead of "fancyaquickie.com"? are you ok?

But serioously, the helicopter thing... if your CO tells you te retreat, and you run forward and save a badly injured mate... technically it's wrong, but in some human sort of way the guy deserve a medal... you could throw a 'H&S' manual the size of Gibralter at that 'copter pilot, but he has a 'joie de vive' about him!!!

Well there is a difference between saving a life and saving a model aircraft.

The Yanks actually have quite a refreshing approach to making mistakes when flying around like that. They have a culture of learning from errors and have carrots as well as sticks. So if you think you have messed up, you can dob yourself in so to speak, and as long as you fess up before the authorities catch you then you can get off without any real punishment.

So you fill out a form describing what you did wrong, what you thought were the factors which caused you to make a mistake, what should be done to prevent it happening again. Then you send it to NASA and not the authorities.

If the Feds then hear about what you did and come after you, if you tell them you already reported yourself, they don't punish you. Well as long as you don't kill anybody...

NASA call it the ASRS form, everybody else calls it the 'Get out of jail free' form. So matey boy model aircraft rescuer should put his fag down and get on his smart phone and submit his form telling them he has been a very silly boy.

Mrs lands at 08.35 so I'd better clear my browser history..... Back to being 'relationship George'

Morning Wolfie,

Wondered when you would turn up. I'm still waiting for that AAIB report on your hero......

(PS Spam Cans are things like warriors, 172s etc. If it's got a wheel at the back it's not a spam can)

Not my hero, just a fellow RW pilot doing his job.

Spamcans are any 'toy' fixed wing airplanes flown by weekend pilots like yourself.

And yes boring and again totally wrong on your understanding of the rules - maybe you should be the one reporting your inability to understand the ANO or the FAR if you are in the USA. Bit like this FW idiot that you prefer to associate with...

Yesterday in front of King Harbor, and south of it too...FW doing orbits at around 10 feet agl over water, with 90 degree banks, at about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile off shore...he/she did this for about 5 minutes...back up to 1200 feet, and contacted KTOA...

I know which one I would rather fly with.

W.

The pilot was very irresponsible, it looked quite windy and such a stunt could have easily lead to the death of pilot, passenger and the kid below them.

The kid was thinking "never mind my f'ing RC plane, take me up in your helicopter!"

Sponsored Links
Back