Hello, I'm new and have a sink trap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

my name is Sue and I'm having trouble with my sink. Well, two things really.

I'll start with the first thing which is the trap. I fitted a new sink into a new worktop, the result being the new waste trap is now about two inches further from the wall than the old one was, and about an inch higher.

(sorry too old to do metric!) :)

I'm not sure if I could extend the trap downwards using an extra little section just under where the two wastes join together, above the final U bend bit, but I also need an extension bit going out towards the pipe that's in the wall, and I can't find the fitting I need for this - basically a straight line section with a 32 inside pipe surrounded by a 40 outer bit iykwim, that goes onto the waste outlet. (compression fitting? I think it's called).

Either that or I need to extend the outlet pipe itself so it comes further into the room - is there a simple way to do this for a bodging amateur? Or do I need to replace the entire outlet pipe and the pipe that it's fixed to which leads down to the outside drain?

I'd really appreciate any help with this...thought about using one of http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-compression-flexible-waste-pipe-32mm/86148 these, but have no idea if it would work.

Second problem regards seating the sink into the worktop but will ask that in a mo.

Thankyou and do give me a kick if this doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I'll try a diagram!

Sue

Sponsored Links
Would one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic-p-trap-40mm/28038 be of any use?

28038_P

It should solve your inch height difference and if you're lucky it may just swivel into the correct position for the waste pipe.
If not then use a short length of pipe if to the existing waste with a compression or pushfit waste connector.

Thanks so much, yes that looks like it would solve the height discrepancy. Excellent.

Not sure what you mean about the push fit or compression waste connector, that's what I can't seem to find anywhere - have only tried B&Q so far though as was stuck indoors till about 6pm. Will go to a proper plumbers tomorrow and ask...I saw a McAlpine swivel nut waste extension online and thought that might do it. (rjpryce I think).

Will deffo go for the telescopic thing though as well, many thanks.

pushfit:
17406_P

compression:
11980_P

With a short offcut of pipe to connect between the trap and waste, if that P-trap won't reach.

Proper plumbers' merchants will have all these. You might be lucky at B&Q, but if it's anything like my local one, they invariably run out of things.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, that's really helpful...I'll try a plumbers merchant today.

May I ask here about my other problem, with seating the sink? - I don't want to take up two whole threads! :oops:

I did the stupid thing and oiled the worktop (oak) before setting the sink into it. So then I read some back threads here and realised silicon wasn't going to stick to it. (it's only had two coats - doesn't seem too oily so far) so I thought I'd use some plumbers mait I had in the cellar.

The sink is heavy and ceramic with a 2cm lip around the edge, so I put a load of PM round the edge, sat it in the hole and it seems Ok.

I'd like to cover the sticky edge though, really, so is there something I could use that won't mind the mait already being there? Someone recommended a water based putty, but I bought some and it says it's not suitable for sinks/baths etc though meant to be waterproof.

I also have some normal caulk stuff. Or I could scrape most of the plumbers mait out if necessary - just it seems happy there and I think there's a good seal all round.
The worktop is still settling itself as it had a slight bow upwards in the middle - very slight but enough to make the sink a few mm above it at the front. I'm told it'll flatten out in time, and the sink is settling Ok as the PM was bulging out a little this morning, so I took a bit more off round the edge.

So just really looking to coat the edge with something that'll go off iyswim.
Any thoughts appreciated :)

and thanks again for the nice welcome.

Sorry, but I've no experience of sealing oak worktops - it would be better to start a new thread for that one.

Hope your waste trap job goes OK!

Thanks! I appreciate it, will start another thread if current plan doesn't work :LOL:

(low modulus silicon, if anyone is actually interested!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back