Connecting dishwasher waste - very tight for space

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am refitting the kitchen and the much extended waste pipe connects to the sink traps virtually at the same height as the P-trap outlet. I have a dishwasher next to the sink. I like the neatness of the dishwasher waste adapters, the small section that fites inbetween the sink waste and the trap. But I don't have the space to fit one. I can just about fit a separate trap and standpipe (I have about 300 mm clear to the underside of the worktop), but this is messy. Is there a way I can connect to a horizontal section of waste pipe? Is this allowed? Any problems?

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
p1060769_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101168&ts=45107&id=11879
You can take the elbow out to use it as a flat T.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer Chris. Does this mean that in theory, whatever method of connection I use, I can connect the diswasher waste directly into a horizontal waste pipe? By implication there would be no trap. Is the trap there just to stop drain smells entering the dishwasher? Are there any other implications of not using a trap? After all there would be no air gap as there is if one uses a sink waste adapter to connect the dishwasher, or uses a washing machine trap and standpipe. The connection would be on the 'wrong' side of the sink traps.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
And clean the non-return valve on a regular basis - otherwise the diswasher hose will backup with crud. :(

If the waste goes to a gully it would not need a trap anyway because there would be a gap outside between the end of the pipe and the water in the gully

squeaky said:
If the waste goes to a gully it would not need a trap anyway because there would be a gap outside between the end of the pipe and the water in the gully

Unless i am mistaken on what you are saying you are wrong, you do need a trap on the waste pipe.

Thanks everybody. The waste goes into the soil stack, there's no gulley.

The device that Chris mentions apparently connects to the soil-stack side of the sink waste, so it would effectively have no trap. That's what confuses me. If this is OK, is there any way to connect to the end of a pipe or fitting, not into the side of the pipe? I will have a tee off the sink waste ready for the dishwasher waste.

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back