HELP!!!! - Accidentally painted Ceiling with Silk over Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've accidentally applied silk paint onto Matt on a new celing. We're already seeing the cracked glaze effect even after we've covered over the silk with Matt again. Is this cracking likely to get worse and start peeling? I was going to sand it all down again and put another coat of Matt on. Is this the best course of action? If so, do I sand right back to the plaster? Or maybe I should just get a realy thick paint and this will do the job?

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try a coat of zinsser gardz over it. This will seal and harden up the surface for sure. Then emulsion as normal.

I'd just add, roll the gardz on gently or maybe even brush it on as pressure from a roller will likely lift the silk paint because it wont be very well adhered. That said gardz is very thin so not a lot of pressure required. Tapping areas will help to reveal bad spots, you could spot prime these areas with a brush. Just use a bit of savvy as the gardz will solve the problem.

Hi DCDEC,

Thanks for coming back to me. Do I just apply this onto the Matt that is there now, or should sand a little first?

If the ceiling is a bit rough or bitty from previous coats it would be a good idea but not required specifically for gardz as its a penetrating primer sealer.
Like i said just go careful when applying it, also sheet up well as its very runny. Hope you get on ok.

Sponsored Links
OK, so give the latest Matt coat a light rub down, apply the stuff, let it dry and then re paint with matt.

In your experience, If I leave it as is, would the cracking get worse and start to peel?

Thanks again

Your welcome, TBH i don't know if it gets any worse over time, i would think once the paint is fully cured it would stop cracking but thats a guess, but temperature changes in the house could well exacibate a problem on poorly adhering paint. Best to fix it up i reckon but maybe someone else will have some direct experience

I agree with dc dec - Garz is the best option.

I have the dubious pleasure next week of trying to 'rescue' a bedroom where the walls were painted partly in matt, partly in silk, by a woman who didn't realise there was a difference.

I plan to Gardz it then apply matt all over.

It's going to look like an aquarium as it is (Dulux Colours Duck Egg Blue - mmm) but at least the finish will be consistent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back