1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help - advice on Mold on Plywood

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by MeoMeo, 3 Jul 2019.

1. MeoMeo

MeoMeo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    if it has been wet through the winter, there is a considerable chance of delamination. Even nominally WBP grade will do this in a week or two. post some pics, especially of the edges.

4. MeoMeo

MeoMeo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. MeoMeo

MeoMeo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @JohnD Noticed this evening the top layer of a few boards are 'flaking off'. I'm fearing this delamination you mentioned has happened :(:(:cry:

6. Gerrydelasel

Gerrydelasel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Plywood cannot be left outdoors in the UK Climate. I'm amazed that people think it can. Just look around you at anything made from plywood; billboards, hoarding, blocked-up windows... if it's been there for more than a few weeks you'll see it's always rotting and delaminating. Use plywood for temporary outdoor structures only.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's not true. I was given a large shed for free but it needed a new roof. I laid 3 x 18mm plywood sheets on the roof and covered with thick roofing felt. That was nearly 3 years ago and the ply is bone dry and solid. My dad also used the same spec ply on a roof for a gazebo and that was nearly 10 years ago and still absolutely fine.

As long as it's protected from the rain it'll be fine.

9. Gerrydelasel

Gerrydelasel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That was exactly my point. If it's protected from rain on one side and sitting above dry air on the other, then it's not outdoors, it's part of an indoor structure.

10. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No worries. I was just clearing up the fact that ply can be used indoors and outdoors if protected. Your comment reads as if you're telling people not to use it other than for temporary use. The underside of the roof overhang on my shed is exposed 24/7 but the roofing felt above it keeps rain off the top -- it is outside but protected.

11. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My "temporary" backgate is now 18 years old. It is a sheet of 18mm WBP plywood. It did get a coat of waterbased fence paint (one side only) but, well that was 18 years ago.

TBH I only expected it to last a couple of years but there is no delamination, so I have no plans to replace it.

Given that the wind tends to come in from the west, it is slightly protected by the garage that it butts up to but under normal circumstances (ie) rain that isn't driven by the wind, the gate gets wet.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2019
  12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links