Help - Banging noises in cenrtral heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, for the past fews months I have been having problems with my heating system. I have a Potterton boiler and 7 radiators. I have a hot water tank in the attic, with a small tank below it. In my airing cupboard I have the boiler and an insulated tank above it.

Everything was fine and then one day, whilst in the shower a loud banging noise started (coming from the attic) and it was so loud I though maybe my ceiling might collapse. One of my lodgers went into loft and said that the water pumping into the large tank in the attic was spurting out.

This was the first occurencee of this! Anyway over the past few months this noise has started happening more often. I haven't been able to find a trigger but it is definitely linked to the hot water or heating. I turned the temperature down on the boiler and I thought this had solved the problem, but the noise happened again and as it was cold I turned the temperature back up. This now happens pretty much every morning after the boiler has come on for both the heating and/or hot water. Sometimes it starts straight away, sometimes the noise starts after the boiler has been on for a few hours. Normally turning off the hot water/heating for the boiler, waiting a few moments and then turning everything back on solved the problem. Not anymore!

Now the boiler makes a strange kind of whirring noise and the banging noise starts shortly after that and does not stop until you turn off the water/heating. The boiler trips out from time to time and it is annoying to come home to a cold house. Sometimes when the noise starts water pours out of the overflow pipe from the attic. This is really causing problems as the noise is so loud we have to turn everything off and have a cold house and hardly any hot water. I have an engineer coming on friday to look at this but wondered what the problem is and if I can do something sooner?

I have tried bleeding the radiators twice and no air comes out what so ever. Sometimes we lose pressure in the shower and have to open up all the hot water taps in the bathroom, let the air splutter out and then pressure returns.

Before the noise started we used to lose pressure in the shower frequently. I had an engineer out and he said everything was fine. When i re-decorated the bathroom, I took the towel radiator off to paint and have re-installed it using plum tape and I do not think this would have triggered this off, but the noise started some months after then.

Lastly I cannot seem to stop the kitchen tap from dripping. I did re-install a new tap over the summer, but again this banging noise has started to happen months after either of these two things.

I really don't understand what the problem is. I cannot get heating without having the hot water on, but can get hot water without having the heating on.

If someone could give me some ideas, it would really help.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it really is the large tank as your post states, I recommend you stop using the system immediately until it has been checked out.

The large tank in the loft is your cold water storage and the vent pipe comes up from the hot water cylinder. From your description, it sounds as if the hot water is boiling. As this hot water is being transferred to the plastic storage tank, there is every possibility that it could collapse if not supported properly, or otherwise defective.

The potential causes are too numerous to mention, given the limited information provided. It does however sound as if you have gravity circulation to the hot water. I would initially look for a failed cylinder thermostat (if fitted) and also check the operation of the thermostats on the boiler.

when you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out forcefully?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back