HELP, can i convert my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a large bungalow that i had built 4 years ago, the trusses were made so that they are strong enough to take a room if i wanted, they are triagular shaped, but the head room is not very big, it is only a couple of inches above my head in the middle of the room, so would it be possible to convert into a dormer bungalow, because the head room in the centre would be too low, or is there away around it, thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've got attic trusses as opposed to regular fink trusses then structurally it would be possible to convert the loft. Dormer windows may not be possible as this would involve cutting through the trusses, undermining the strength and stability (not advisable!), roof lights may be the only option. Although there is now no minimum ceiling height to habitable rooms, you may have problems achieving the required headroom to the stairs.

Sponsored Links
julie798 said:
Hi
I have a large bungalow that i had built 4 years ago, the trusses were made so that they are strong enough to take a room if i wanted

So during the design stage, floor grade joists were specified for a potential 'room', so why did they not leave adequate headroom in the roofspace???

Design cock-up or communication problem? Do you know what depth the joists are, they (truss manufacturers) may just have thought 'loft storage' when 'potential room' was requested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back