Help! Can't get boiler on and dad on holiday!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Santon Premier Plus boiler that is 3 1/2 years old (put in when flat was built) and I can't seem to switch it on at the moment. I can't see it being the boiler being broke as it is pretty new.It is only for hot water as no central heating in flat.

The programmable display thingy that you switch it on and off with is not working - it is just blank. Over the last week or 2 I could only see half of the letters and numbers on display, and just randomly pressed buttons until it came on as i couldn't see what I was selecting.

Today, there is nothing showing on display and I can't get the boiler on.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It may have an immersion back up which you can use till parents get home. Also make sure the fused spur is switched on as you may have inadvertantly switched it off. If all else fails why not contact a neighbour as they will probably have same system

The santon premier plus is a cylinder that has immersions to heat the water or a seperate boiler . Is there a seperate boiler ????

Yeah it is a cylinder not a boiler actually! I don't know where there would be a boiler. Is there a chance that there are batteries behind the display that may have run out? What makes me think it is battery run is that over the past few weeks the display digits have been fading as if the batteries are starting to run out.

There is a switch like a light switch, only red, but that is for the towel heater in the bathroom and I don't think that heats water. Or would it? I've never spotted an imersion switch like my parents have at home.I have checked the fuse box and it is switched on still.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
What make is the programmer and can you see any wires from it ? it may have batteries in it if it is a wireless programmer

My mum brought me a screwdriver round so I took off the face of the display and it's wires inside going into the wall and not a battery unfortuately. Also, there is no make on it at all.

maybe you'r programmer is faulty. I have a drayton tempus 7 programmer and the digital display is fading/not very clear now. it still works at the moment though.

Yeah thats what happened with mine, it was fading the past few weeks now its completely dead.

Does anyone have any idea of how much this would cost to fix?

Thanks

a new programmer costs from £35-to £70 ish. good ones usually around £50-60 ish.

Yeah I don't think I should try to do it myself, totally clueless with electrics! So will I need an electrician rather than a plumber?

Theres a switch that heats up towel rack in bathroom, is that likely to heat up water like an imersion switch by any chance? Bit of a long shot, i know!

That was a very long shot . No it will just be to heat up the towel rad and nothing else .

Yeah it was haha had it on for a few hours - a very hot bathroom but still no hot water!

My uncles been round to look, he said it's either the programmer or water heating element. Gonna ring a plumber tomorrow!

Thanks for all you help and advice!

To be honest Jenny, if i was home alone, the heating/hot water wouldn't be an issue to me when entertaining.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back