Help - Cant lift recessed manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to investigate a blocked drain to see if I can resolve it myself before resorting to calling in a pro, but I can't lift the recessed cover in my garden. I can access the lifting keys no problem, but it won't budge. Two of us have tried lifting and the weight (even with slabs inset) should be quite manageable.

I am assuming that possibly some sand/cement mix or other debris has bonded the tray to the rubber seal. I have tried to seperate the seal by running a fine blade right around the edge, have tapped vigorously all over with a rubber mallet to to try and loosed things up and nothing seems to be working. My next thought is to resort to getting the angle grinder out and cutting the slabs in the tray so I can lever them out.

Anyone have any ideas/advice. I am concerned at damaging the tray/seal and want to avoid shelling out on hiring a hydraulic lifter.

Thanks
Alp

Sponsored Links
this happens a fair bit. First step power washer and try and blast out crud from the area you have been trying with the blade. Also crap ones can sort of rust in place so some times a liberal amount of penetrating oil will help with that.

Had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago - Used a garden fork to lift the handles. Got loads of leverage - worked a treat

Robert

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is hire a hydraulic lifter (i've got one, couldn't work without it) then once you have lifted the cover and sorted out the drain, you can clean the edges up of the manhole cover and frame. Before you put it back smear some KY jelly around the edge/frame. So next time it will come out with ease.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back