Manhole cover alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a recessed manhole cover that I have to fit as part of my new patio. The opening isn't inline with the patio slabs and I thought I could have it at a different angle to the slabs but position slabs in and around it to line up with the other slabs, and so blend the manhole cover in.

As the pics show, I've discovered that the cuts needed to fit the slabs inside the recessed cover and also around it will be very fiddly and if not perfect, won't make the finish look good.

I can't position the black plastic collar in line with the existing slabs as it won't sit neatly on top of the manhole brickwork - there would be gaps on either side (as well as not structurally secure, I'm worried that without a snug fit it won't keep smells from escaping)

Is there a way to resolve this? Ideally I want a concrete/metal frame to sit snugly on top of the existing brickwork, at an angle that then allows me to fit the collar and cover in line with the other slabs

Attachments

• IMG20240329162041.jpg
    IMG20240329162041.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG20240329162129.jpg
    IMG20240329162129.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG20240329162227.jpg
    IMG20240329162227.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
Make the opening bigger.
I'd make that hole the entire size of one slab or something near. Then line it all up.
When you lift the original hole will be at an angle.

Basically. I'm saying increased the size of cover so you bridge the hole.

Not my area but what I'd do

It's so shallow you can do what you want - big slab set on top with a new hole cut in the right place etc.

No person's going in that so just needs room for a rod.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back