fixing patio cover to patio slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OVi4WkK
I need to fix a patio cover to my patio slabs - the slabs were fitted around 2 years ago and have been solid and have not moved or sagged etc

here is the patio cover - its a very heavy and sturdy object

what is the best way of attaching to slabs - instructions suggest drilling into the slabs

Sponsored Links
All I can see are some patio slabs with a pair of feet in the shot. Where is the cover?
Can you take a shot from further away to try and give a fuller view?

apologies here is the item. mine is one with 2 legs and not 3

each leg has a mounting foot with 4 holes

Palram_Patio_Covers_Sierra_3x4.25_Grey_Clear_CutOut-1024x819 (1).jpg

Sponsored Links
that type is prevented from leaning over or blowing away by being attached securely to the house, so there is not much risk of the legs coming adrift

IMO you only need to screw it down to prevent a foot being dislodged by someone kicking it, riding their tricycle into it, or falling drunkenly against it.

I always use stainless coach screws in that sort of job. They have a hexagonal head you can turn with a spanner. They will not rust (though they may go dull and stain) which is a great problem with steel exposed to the weather. Giant plasplugs would be sufficient.

cheers John

what is the best technique of drilling into slabs so that i minimise the risk of cracking them. for example would i not use the hammer function on a drill

Until last week I would have said an SDS+ drill. I recently had a bad spall.

I think yours are Indian Limestone or Sandstone slabs and will be fairly soft so an ordinary masonry bit will do it, but be a bit slow.

You could start with a small diameter drill and work up, that might reduce the risk of cracking. Especially if you are near the edge of a slab, don't use a tight-fit plug and screw with no space for expansion.

With luck somebody more experienced with these slabs will know better. Maybe ask in the "building" section if no other replies here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back