Help - Cant turn stop cock off outside - White Hexagon?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help - Cant turn stop cock off outside - White Hexagon?

Basically I have a leak on my internal stopcock under my sink and I went to turn off the water in the street and found the tap would undo and tighten like normal but would not completely turn off the water??

Next to the tap is a white hexagon which is either a cover for something or a nut.

Xmas 2009 the tap broke and leaked into the street and the water company came out and fixed it but I havent touched it since then.
Just wondering if this white hexagon is a new stop stock of any kind?
If so what do I need to use it?

Ive taken a pic so you can see what I mean...

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Damm..

The water company wont come out and fix the tap as its not effecting the public so would have to wait 21 days or pay £90 to come out now...

i guess you cant turn the tap in the picture?

seems very odd, as that doesnt look like its been replaced.

Sponsored Links
No cant turn it off ... it feels like its opening and closing but only restricts the water abit....

No idea what they actually done in 2009 but it was leaking and flooding the pavement..

If your in a hurry you could hire a pipe freezing machine from HSS or Mr Plant Hire etc, should be about £50 for the day so cheaper than the £90. It should have that main frozen in like 10-15 minutes if you have enough room to fit both the clamps. Then replace your internal stopcock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back