Help choosing and positioning CCTV

RG59 unless "shotgun isnt as tidy as CAT5e. However you would need an IP box unless you were to use the smallest baluns available. Again "Shotgun" cable can be untidy if not clipped correctly. Cat5 is easier if not used to this.
Power supplies can be anywhere and not just near the DVR but thats is sometimes the best location. Unless running over 50 mtrs I would not be unduly worried.
Indoors or outdoors is misleading you can fot what you like as long as it is IP rated. Some cameras have both the flyleads and connectors you can use if need be.

Get what you can best afford. Thinking about views and lighting both day and night time. A little link for lens comparison might be helpful, http://www.boschsecurity.us/NR/rdon...51F02021082/0/SelectingtheRightCCTVCamera.pdf Or http://promaxusa.com/cctv-lens-chart.html#visual
These are just for the charts as are the easiest for a new user IMHO.

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I've read through other threads on this topic and so hopefully have take some of the advice on board already about avoiding very cheap systems.

My needs are for a domestic setting, probably 6 external cameras that need to work at day and night.

Option 1 and add two additional cameras

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Silver-Enforcer-4-Camera-
Professional-CCTV-Kit.html

Option 2 is a set up they have at Costco and is made by Swann. They call it a DVR 8 2500P and iirc comes with 4 external cameras. It is £439.99 + VAT.

I'd appreciate input into which of these might be better. Costco have a great returns policy, any problems and they usually take the item straight back and refund

Also for option 1 on the website you can pay extra for 'internet' facility, what does that mean?

My second question is as to positioning. This maybe difficult to answer without seeing my house (its a largish Edwardian semi). At present we are having a loft conversion done and so I was thinking of running the wires and mounting just below the soffit boards ie just above the first floor windows. Would this be ok or is that too high?

Thanks for your help

I ve looked at the CCtvDirect offer 'looks pretty good' is in the reasonably priced bracket...i ve used similar type cameras...they have a tendency to have a small focus area in the centre of the area of view... which means not all the image is in focus as much as should with more pro cameras but not too bad.... good IR but remember these IR cameras have a life expectancy on their IR LEDs ...about 5 yrs....so after this time its IR will dim.
With regard to positioning....on Edwardian Ggaffs..they have a tenancy to have a high eve...and you need to position your CCtv cam lower than the eve so that your Image is not looking at Bald spots and make useless the cameras IR to ground.....try ceiling/1st floor height on outside...

Hope this is a help...

Alarm, I'd appreciate if you could correct whatever issues there are with the previous advice.

I need to order the stuff in the next day or two.

Many thanks

Indus, you will get sound advice from Alarm & Alumni, I know that from my own experience of them - they offer good advice. I have never been advised by Big Rob so cannot verify for him - sorry (I am not knocking him, but he seems to be new on this forum so needs to be proven - sorry Rob, no disrespect to you).

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'll stick to the cctv direct stuff and give them a call with my exact requirements.

Thanks to all for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back