HELP: Costs of rebuilding Chimney Breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Long one, bear with me, you will all eventually ask me for these details anyway, going by past messages!

Can anyone give me some advice please. I am completely illiterate when it comes to DIY stuff.

Trying to buy a 1935 semi, survey just done, chimney breast shared 'tween two houses (party wall??). The chimney breast has been removed. I do not recall any breast on the first or ground floors, although there is a clear presence of a large stack on the roof.

Surveyor advices a check by a structural engineer before buying.

How much should I budget for, IF I wanted to rebuild the chimney to the original, usable specs? I am not keen on using these "GALLOWS BRACKET" doodads.

The vendor has offered to get an indemnity policy, which will cover me if there is any damage in the future or do the repairs to support the wall.

Is there any such INDEMNITY POLICY that is usable?

I got to make a decision today, apparently, I am sorry to stick it to you, but you seem the only balanced lot that I could look to (not mentally..of course not! :p ) -

The builders will choose to build, the insurers will choose to insure, the Structural Engineer...well as far as he gets paid and doesnt have to stick his neck out too far, etc...while u lot have nothing to lose or gain

Warmest Regards
U

Sponsored Links
I think you may find that you cant rebuild to the original spec, you may have to build to any new spec.

Nuts, I had a sneaky feeling. This is a conservation area as well. (will edit original post to include).

I might have to look into costs of leaving just the stack in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back