Help Diagnosing Likely Problem - Electrics and Boiler

If I suspected it was the pump then I would have powered it from a fly lead and a 13 A socket!

Then the OP could have the full CH and HW system while it is on test.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I suspected it was the pump then I would have powered it from a fly lead and a 13 A socket!

Tony
so if you suspected that it was the pump and it turned out to be the pump , what would circulate the water around the system , that would give them CH and HW while you had it was on test ??? your oscilloscope maybe ?? another post to be deleted

Tony
If the circulator was fooked then what would be the point of a fly lead???

Seriously, this fault just needs a neon screwdriver. I would not need to call a friend to fix it

Tony do you charge a consultation fee to the people that call you for experts advice?

Sponsored Links
Fixitfergie, replace the 3 amp fuse in the spur
Make sure both CH and HW are off at the programmer. Also wind the boiler thermostat to 0/ off position
Power up the programmer
Select HW only. Wait a few minutes. Now set boiler thermostat to say mid position. Wait a few minutes. Boiler should fire. If fuse not popped, let it run for say 10 minutes. If fuse popped, you will have a point in the sequence where the fault may be present

Now select CH and follow the same sequence and pin point when the fuse popped.

Thus far no tools or instruments have been used, not even a neon screwdriver other than removal of three amp fuse perhaps.

Report back and will guide you further

so do you expect the engineer to charge just for 10 mins then ????

Have to agree with you Agas
Equally the plumber is struggling here, so wonder what his full charge might be. You think the plumber should call tony and seek guidance there? :ROFLMAO:

It is not a good idea to fault find by trial and error, each time a fuse 'pops' it means a high current has being drawn through the programmer / thermostat etc, The more it is done, the more likelihood there is of causing more damage to other components. It's not too difficult to weld the contacts in thermostats and programmers together by putting short circuit currents through them.

If the pump is the suspect, then leaving it out of the circuit to prevent the fuse blowing sounds reasonable, however, a pump is a fairly simple electrical device and it should be quite easy for a competent person to test.

It is not a good idea to fault find by trial and error, each time a fuse 'pops' it means a high current has being drawn through the programmer / thermostat etc,

Well said, popping fuses is NEVER a sensible diagnostic procedure

Have you read the whole thread dp ?

I have done so for the second time.
What am I missing
Did see your response re pump, would have arrived at same conclusion with baby steps I posted
What do you think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back