Help!! Downstairs Bathroom Extractor fan through Flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am installing a Extractor fan in my downstairs Bathroom, it will be going through a flat roof.

Ok i have a got the following:

100mm DIA PLASTIC ROOF VENT COWL FOR 110mm PIPE

110mm pipe

100mm Ducting

100mm Fan

My question is how do i attach the 100mm Ducting to the 110mm Pipe??

Also is there anything else i will need?

Any help would be appreciated as i am not very experienced in this type of thing ;)

Sponsored Links
Well the reason i am asking is so it is done properly & hopefully wont leak!

But thanks anyway.

have you already got a hole in the roof? You need a special collared tile to seal the pipe to the roof coating. It is roofer's work and I can't help with this. Even if a roofer does it, it is more likely to leak than a roof without a hole in it.

have you got an external wall or window in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for taking the time to reply.

There is no hole in the roof at present, i cant go through the external wall because it has just been finished, but i do have a small window.

Any thoughts?

You've also not said what the flat roof is finished with. Regarding sealing the penetration you'll probably get a better response in the roofers section, not sure the roofers on the Forum check here. As JD says a wall vent would be best but if that can't be done there is more chance a roof leaking with a hole in it than not but there is no reason for it to leak if it is properly done.

If it was me, I would hire a core drill for half a day. It will easily drill a neat, round, 110mm hole through the wall. This is the way I would recommend. If the wall is tiled, you can expect to replace the tiles you drill through. If it is plastered and painted, and you drill from both sides, it might not need redecorating at all.

a second choice would be to fit a window fan. You will have to get new glass cut.

If you are not a skilled roofer, making a hole in the roof is a very bad idea.

Thanks for your replies, i do appreciate it.

I do know people who can probably do this for me but i will need to make sure i have everything ready for them.

Do you know how i attach the 100mm Ducting to the 110mm Pipe??

Do i need a part ie: a reducer or do people just tape it?

Thanks!

I ran my kitchen vent out thru the flat roof space, avoids going thru wall or roof.

i am worried here
you have purchased a roof mounted fan with a cowel specificly for roof mounting!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back