HELP! Drain airing cupboard hot water tank

Okay here's what I am currently doing. Fed up trying to bung. I have isolated the main water into loft tank. Now I have all hot water taps open running water til it stops. So this will eventually drain both the water cylinder and loft tank? Use a hose on the valve that branks off the cylinder?

Sponsored Links
It won't drain the cylinder (you don't need to) but it will drain the cold water cistern. The water will stop running at the taps but it may drip for a while at the bit you are working on depending on its location e.g. low down in the system.

shove a hose on that draincock in the bottom left of your pic and drain a couple of buckets of water out the cylinder and the dripping WILL stop long enough for you to do your soldering. you did not need to bung or empty the storage tank to start with.

well storage tank in loft has drained and water from taps stopped. I currently have a speedifit connector on the end pipe in downstairs toilet. I will remove that and see if dripping has stopped to be able to solder a solder ring couple on. Trying to extend pipe by a few inches before replacing plasterboard and tiling. Took those bungs back. Dried them first. The guy at the store was suspicious lol It was a zip bag not a plastic bag which would be evident I had used it. Regin I think the bung was made by. Absolutely useless. Ok do I still have to attach the hose which will drain the cylinder? Or have I done enough by draining storage tank?

Sponsored Links
still drippig but here's the thing. The ONLY tap in the house that's running water is the bath cold tap! And when I run it water pours out of the hot water pipe. Good job I had a bucket underneath? Any ideas why my bath cold tap is still running water?

ok bath tap water stopped running. So need to see if this drip will eventually stop. Attached te hose to valve NO water coming out

Last edited:
Put some bread in pipe held back the drip. Fluxed the outside of pipe etc soldered the solder ring couple to extra pipe. Hope the solder is adequate. It was tricky space to get the blow torch in

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back