Help! Engine cutting out! Mazda 6, 2.0 td, 2003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 times in the past month the engine has cut off when applying power after changing from 2nd to 3rd, its only happened when the revs are low at the beginning of the journey. Each time I have tried to restart the engine where the car attempts to turn over but won’t start until I’ve tried 5 or so times, then it starts up and runs fine.

First thoughts are that fuel is not getting through properly, maybe fuel filter? I don’t know about the automatic choke system [I actually don’t know for sure whether diesels have a choke?!], could this have anything to do with it? Would appreciate any other thoughts though, I’m not going to ruin anything by doing the fuel filter but I also want to consider all the options!

Sponsored Links
Just a thought!
I had an older car (Metro) and the engine would just cut out...like yourself I would try to start it but it would not fire for the first 3/4 attempts. Again like yourself I thought fuel starvation, probably something in the filter which moves up the pipe then blocks the pipe, when the engine stops the pressure in the pipe drops and the foreign object moves away from the pipe end letting the fuel flow again. Took the fuel system apart and rebuilt it..no change..!

After much scratching of heads we still could not find the problem until one day we had the bonnet up to do something or other and I noticed a spark from the wiring which runs along under the bonnet by the water channels. On investigation it was a wire to the coil (see I told you it was an older car) which was being stretched when the engine flexed (as when I changed gear) the wire had stripped for about 3 inches and was earthing on the bodywork...We repaired it and never had another problem.

Interesting thanks, had rulled out electrics based on the fact that it is a diesel. Done the fuel filter now so will see if the problem comes up, no obvious damage to the filter seals though so that doesn't help!

Sponsored Links
dont rule out electrics completly, whislt I dont know exactly about your car, my 2003 406 has electric fuel pumps, electric fuel solenoid, and potentiometer for the throttle.

deisels dont have a choke as such, they just idle higher in the cold, (the glow plugs do the start assisting)

Back