Help - Faulty Thorn Apollo 30/50B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Any one out there who can help?? I have a Thorn Apollo 30/50B boiler that failed a couple of months ago. A plumbing friend at work said it would be the overheat stat (which it was)

Just recently it has been going out when the CH is on, if the HW is left on its own - it was normally ok, but when the CH was put on the boiler 'clicked' and the pilot went out.

I have got up this morning and cannot get the pilot to stay on, it is a healthy pilot when we ignite it - when we release the button - it goes out?

Would it be the Overheat stat again or would if be something else?

Coming up to Christmas - we are worried we could lose it at the worst time!

Anybody help?? Regards

Sponsored Links
Providing the healthy pilot is playing on the t/couple properly its a choice of 3 things.

T/couple
overheat stat
gas valve.
Usually in that order

Hi Namsag -
The pilot only stays as lit as long as we hold in the button. Once released it goes out. It was working last night - as stated - when the HW is on, worked ok. When we put the CH on it clicked and pilot went out.

There was a small bit of hammering last night and when we got up this morning - didn't work at all!

Ive seen some posts on overiding the OH stat (we have a thermocouple with interuptor) but dont know how to do this?

Other than that - where would the gas valve be located (what does this look like?)

My feel is that it is the OH stat again - is this common to go so soon after replacing a couple of months ago?

I have found that that the pilot does not want to light when the ignitor is pushed - is this pointing to the gas valve as the problem?

How frustrating - on a cold sunday! :{

Sponsored Links
There was a small bit of hammering last night
this would indicate to me either a circulation problem or boiler thermostat problem.

Ive seen some posts on overiding the OH stat (we have a thermocouple with interuptor) but dont know how to do this?

Other than that - where would the gas valve be located (what does this look like?)

reading this tellms me you need a pro. be brave and admit you dont know what you are doing. it'll save you money andgrief in the long run.

Yep - just wanted a quick fix as without a boiler is not good - got British Gas in to replace - get it done so Christmas is free of worry and full of Heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back