Help! Female! Leaking radiator valve

B

Ballgirl

Hi,

I noticed a nice pool of water leaking under my radiator. I think it's coming from the connection between the radiator and the TRV. Can someone talk me through where exactlyiI need to tighten. The silver nut closest to TRV seems to be tight. Do I have to also check the section going into the radiator?

Sponsored Links
have you looked above? It may be coming from the bleed screw or plug on the end at the top.

Take the TRV off, metal ring will unscrew, if the spindle is dry it's the radiator itself judging by the picture.

Sponsored Links
Is the dripping from under this section?

View media item 70308
First of all get some tissue paper and dry off that whole area and underneath (and run it up into that gap to catch the bum fluff :p) then run your finger under the section (tail) that enters the rad. Keep running your finger under that area until you get water, if you don't run your finger under the nut at the TRV, that should confirm where it's coming from.
The tricky bit is if it's the tail that's leaking as it's pretty difficult to tighten that on it's own as the nut on the TRV will want to move too, and therefore the whole valve/pipe, not what you want.

See if you can determine where it's coming from 1st

Maybe its my eyes, but the angle of the copper pipe into the valve looks slightly off......gently nip up the chrome nut if the leak is from there, but don't heave on it!
John :)

yes, I noticed the pipe, but I would have preferred to loosen it, then push it well up, then retighten. If the pipe and olive are badly seated, tightening may make it worse.

Just a though but if it's microbore then it could look off but rather than be off-centre within the valve coupling it might just be slightly bent at the entry to the fixing? Chances are there's a reducer in there that would hold the pipe straight? In fact, you couldn't get the pipe in unless it was straight IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back