Help fitting closed coupled toilet

Plastering a box attached to the wall? Is that some kind of joke? :confused:

Why would it be a joke. You create a small stud boxing and plasterboard it then plaster it.

There are no cistern or pipework to be hidden inside, provided you know where the studs are then you can attach the cistern securely to these through the plaster and plasterboard. The boxing would run from the floor up to just above the height of the cistern.

I am confused as to why you could possibly have such an issue with this.

Clearly if you were to conceal the cistern inside then you would leave an access hatch, or pref. not plaster it at all, but on the basis that the only thing to be concealed inside is air I hardly think this a problem!

Looks much neater than a box stuck on the wall just to bring out the wall depth to that required for a cistern to be attached.

Sponsored Links
When I said to cover it in plastic or tile it I was assuming that the walls would have some sort of water proof covering ( plastic or tiles). Nothing to stop you plasterboarding it and plastering it, but unless you are painting the walls this is not the way I would go.
Plastic such as pvc soffit board or fascia board is good, as is sill board.
T+G plastic is available too, all can be had from B&Q or cheaper from a plastics wholesaler such as Casey's or suchlike.

I had an old toilet like this in my flat, which was replaced for a closed cistern type one - yes, one of the ones with a dual flush. However, we have presurrised mains water in this country, so most things get flushed away using the small flush...

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that we had virtually exactly the same toilet - with the drainage quite far out from the wall. We had a closed cistern fitted no problem - you just had to specify "U" or "S" when buying the connecting kit thingy, and it was fine. Our cistern I think is 20cm from the wall in total. Oh, and our plumber built a wooden frame, plasterboarded it and then tiled it. Access is through the flush panel, which can be taken off very easily.

Sponsored Links
Hello I ve just fitted a new toilet
previously I have fitted ones where the cistern is completely separate
This time I went for the modern type. Assumed (wrongly) there would be less trouble with flush as it (appears) all in one.
Despite doing everything carefully, after flushing, it would leak between cistern and pan.
I was disappointed that the design cannot direct water deeper into pan.
Instead, there is quite a shallow 'receiving well' in pan before water goes at 90 degrees (apologies for any wrong terminology). So after flush, the sheer volume of water splashes back up and then it has to seep out somewhere. I had fitted the doughnut by the way. My final solution was to absolutely cake everything in sealant before putting cistern back on. So far so good. But tiny evidence that some is trying to seep through my sealant along front line between both items. I'll beat it eventually. I can imagine the professionals reading this with horror however I feel I should warn any DIYers that these modern toilets are not as easy as you may imagine

Might have been better starting a new thread, not resurecting a 4-year-old one.

What make and model?
It is definitely leaking from the flush hole and not the bolt holes in the bottom of the cistern?
You have put the donut washer on the right way up?

Might have been better starting a new thread, not resurecting a 4-year-old one.

What make and model?
It is definitely leaking from the flush hole and not the bolt holes in the bottom of the cistern?
You have put the donut washer on the right way up?

apologies
I was just browsing and should have paid attention to the date.
definitely not bolt holes
I now have no problems
just wanted to add to the debate
apologies again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back