help for painting new plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..Can any one try and explain to me why after putting at least 5 coats on my newly plastered walls I still have a orange peel effect,
Yes the plaster was completly dry we sized the walls. we then put one coat of matt emulsion on but didnt like the colour ..so we bought wicks matt trade emulsion..and applied 3 coats with a roller..I asked the paint guy in b and q and he said we are putting too much paint on the roller..bought a new roller and tried to roller it in tray more..guess what same effect..Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong at this rate ill end up putting wallpaper back on , which I dont really want to do Its cost me £900n to get them plastered. :(

Sponsored Links
Are you saying your sized the new plaster before mist coating it? What did you size it with?

New plaster can be sized rather than painted if you intend to hang paper but if you’re going for a paint finish, new plaster should be mist coated before you do anything else. Use ordinary matt white emulsion thinned 25-30%, 2/3 coats in quick succession, leave overnight & then apply you chosen finish. I always slightly thin topcoats as well as it goes on easier & gives a better finish; I usually use a large brush rather than roller, I don’t like the mottled effect finish they give.

I fear you may have created yourself a huge headache in what you’ve done.

I'm assuming you mean the emulsion finish, has an orange peel effect. This would have been caused by using the wrong type of roller to apply the paint. I think it sounds as if the roller was too course/heavy duty.You would have been better with a finer roller, or as Richard said, a brush.
For the future, no matter how many more coats of emulsion you put on, you'll never get rid of it. It might be better if this topic is transfered to the Painting and Decorating Forum,, they'll maybe have some useful advice on the problem. Good luck to you anyway. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back