Help - Foul drain connected to Surface Water main drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking for some advice, United Utilities have sent surveyors (contracted out to Mouchel) round to check for pollution of drains. They came and put dye in sinks/toilets etc and say that our shared foul drain, is connected to the surface water main drain instead of the foul main drain.
They say we are responsible for cost and completion of the corrective work to make the drains correct. House was built in 1970 we are a semi, and share with next door, but drain runs down side of our house and its in the road where the drains are incorrectly connected. All the other houses in the close are connected correctly.
Are we liable, can we fight this, we bought house 3 years ago, elderly neighbour been here for 30 years, big surprise to her, she was physically shaking when we went round to discuss it. Letter is very alarming, and when you call Mouchel they just say cannot help speak to UU. Copy of surveyor plan attached for info.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi, I found the surveyors plan in your album so have linked to it here for the benifit of others:

I'm no expert so can't help much.

One thought though. Do you know if the surface water from your property also goes into the surface water drain as it should. If not and it is also wrongly connected (ie. to the foul drain) then it may be good news in a way as they could possibly be swapped round on your property rather than having to dig up the road.

Could be 'swapped round' this assumes the invert(s) are at the same depth although unlikely. House insurance is first port of call, though why its taken them 40 years to pick this up is a mystery. (Might be useful in your defence though!)

Better advice regarding legal situation maybe available at: www.gardenlaw.co.uk or http://www.swarb.co.uk/phpbb/ It comes down to who is responsible, but unfortunately i'm pretty sure the responsibility lies with the properties concerned that use the sewer, up to the point where it joins the main in the road.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I am looking for some advice, United Utilities have sent surveyors (contracted out to Mouchel) . House was built in 1970 we are a semi, and share with next door, but drain runs down side of our house Thanks
Chris
So it`s you and next door that are " jointly liable " :idea: I know what I would do if I was your neighbour :evil: And as I`ve got plenty of time on my hands , I`d start by finding out who adopted/ signed off the sewer connections in 1970 when the place was built . Good Luck anyways . 3 words ;- Anne Robinson Watchdog

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back