Help home alone and my house is leaking...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Typical this happens on a Friday but...

I got home from work this evening, sat down with a nice glass of wine only to wonder what the dripping noise from outside was.

So when i looked the overflow pipe is dripping water :O we have 2 pipes one lower down like over the kitchen window and one high up like coming out of the loft.

The higher one is leaking!! Its not gushing water out but a fair drip which must of been going on while i was at work as a nice puddle has formed :O

So I'm home alone unable to get into the loft on my own and wondering what to do or what is causing it, or if my house is going to flood and the roof collapse :(

Please help and advise me! My house is so old i can't even turn the water tap to turn the water supply off, even if that might help *cry*

Sponsored Links
it`s one couple things
etheir the ball valve is passing most likly
but possibly the coil gone in your tank

First thing to to is open your bath taps and let them run for a few minutes. Then go outside and see if the dripping has stopped.

If so then its the float valve in the cold water tank.

Andy

Thanks after running the taps and flushing the loo, the dripping has completely stopped!

I managed to get up into the loft to look, but im not really sure what im looking for!

Sponsored Links
You need a new float valve in your cold water tank.

A very easy job for a plumber, material cost approx. £5 plus labour.

Andy
Don`t forget the siezed main stopcock :idea: . These jobs have to be worth the turnout time - If it`s Tun Wells area of Kent , I`d consider travelling across the Forest to do it ;)

[/quote] Don`t forget the siezed main stopcock :idea: . These jobs have to be worth the turnout time - If it`s Tun Wells area of Kent , I`d consider travelling across the Forest to do it ;)[/quote]

Nige on jobs like these, I would give the customer a fixed price over the phone. If I couldn't turn the mains off then I would change the section of the float valve which is inside of the cold water tank and do it live.

I have done many times in an emergency, it also gives me the chance to give the customer a quote for a new stop cock.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back