help - hot water no longer so hot (from combi)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitted a bathroom and shower valve (thermostatic).
h/w works from a combi.

water started coming out warm from all taps but shower was working but giving warm also.

2 weeks ltr customer states that shower valve not working but hot water (not as hot as it used to be )coming out of all taps.
i suggested that it is the combi boiler at fault and needs looking at.
i am not a corgi man....but can the boiler be at fault with not letting the h/w out at pressure so it is not reaching the shower valve???

what fault with the boiler can cause this effect??

ps: customer states that she will not get boiler man out and that it is an installation fault!!!!
i would just like some ammo to fire at her so to speak.

many thanks all that reply

dazzab

:(

Sponsored Links
Depends on the boiler make and model.....vokera compacts are good at blocking at the flow limiter and thus the flow decreases.

"shower valve not working" I wonder if she means no water is coming out of the shower, or if the shower is not hot enough?

I suppose there is a slim chance the shower could be letting by internally and cold water mixing with the hot to the taps, causing then to be less hot.

If the shower (and any other mixer) has service valves you could isolate it to see if it is at fault.

If you can demonstrate to her that even with your bathroom installation isolated, the water from the boiler (to the kitchen tap, say) is still not hot enough, that would point the finger at the boiler.

Unless customer has turned down the boiler stat now the warmer weather is here?

it is a ravenheat boiler.

water was coming out fine for 2 weeks but now nothing.. zilch.

but as i said...the bath taps now have hot water and that is where i have attached shower hot/cold too.

the pipes were flushed before installation so i have discounted debris from my pipe fitting but am wondering whether the boiler has sent some debris to the furthest point..the hot shower feed.

a thermostatic shower valve requires both feeds to work???
most are under the impression that it only shuts off if the cold feed is blocked as my customer seems to think....everyones a plumber eh!!! :(

Sponsored Links
What is the temp of hot water in the kitchen :?:

If it is the same as the other outlets then the boiler is at fault. :(

if the boiler is stat is turned up high enough (water side) and you get good hot water at the other taps then its going to be the shower valve.
some shower valves have hot water temp setting..ie max temp etc. you might need to adjust that ?

but nothing is coming out of shower...no hot....no cold!!!

turn to shower on position and nothing.

downstairs taps are alot hotter than upstairs taps.

thanks for all replies guys keep em coming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back